This hearty sausage and chicken ragù was inspired by a fabulous stew Bruce Aidells enjoyed when he was traveling in Spain. Serve it over a heartier pasta, such as whole-wheat penne, or gnocchi. Garnish with grated sheep’s-milk cheese, such as Manchego.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Great Value Extra Virgin Olive Oil 17 ozIn Stores OnlySee Everyday Low Price
- 8 ounces linguiça (Portuguese-style sausage) or Spanish-style chorizo, diced3 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
Great Value Minced Garlic, 32 ozIn Stores OnlySEE EVERYDAY LOW PRICE
- 2 tablespoons PimentÀ³n de la Vera (see Note)2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste3 cups white wine
- 4 cups diced seeded tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 generous pinch saffron threads (see Note)
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the edges begin to color, 5 to 10 minutes. Add onion and garlic. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is quite soft.
- Sprinkle Pimenton de la Vera over the onion mixture; stir to coat. Cook for 1 minute. Add chicken, salt and pepper; stir to coat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add wine and increase heat to high; cook until the wine is reduced by about a third, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, parsley and saffron; reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the chicken is tender and the sauce is beginning to thicken, 1 to 1¼ hours. Season with more pepper, if desired.