- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large fresh tomatoes, or 796-mL can drained plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, optional
- 170-mL jar marinated artichoke hearts, well drained
- 1/2 cup olives, pitted, preferably kalamata
- 500 g short pasta, such as penne, fusilli or rotini
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- pinch salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- sprinkling freshly grated parmesan
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Finely chop onion. Heat oil in a large wide saucepan set over medium heat. Add chicken, onion and garlic. Stir occasionally until chicken is golden, about 4 minutes. Meanwhile, core and coarsely chop fresh tomatoes and add to chicken, along with any juice. Or stir in drained canned tomatoes, breaking them up with a spoon. Add basil, fennel, if using, artichokes and olives, then bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook, uncovered, according to package directions. Drain well. If pan containing sauce is large enough, add drained pasta directly to sauce along with parsley, salt and pepper. Stir to coat. If pan is not large enough, stir parsley, salt and pepper into sauce and serve over pasta. Then sprinkle with Parmesan.