Simple casserole to bung into the slow cooker for 8 hours on slow or 3/4 on high. Use chicken thighs or a mixture of chicken pieces.
- 4 carrots
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 handful chopped fresh parsley, rosemary and thyme
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 40g pearl barley
- 20g split peas
- 20g marrow fat peas
- 600ml (1 pt) chicken stock
- Chop carrots, onion and garlic and add to medium hot pan for 5 minutes, add diced potatoes and herbs and cook for another 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- Brown chicken in frying pan for 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- Add the bay leaves, salt and pepper, barley, split peas, marrowfat peas and stock to the slow cooker. Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on low 8 hours. Serve with roast puddings, stuffing or bread and butter.
Source: Slow cooker chicken casserole